Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cavatini

SO, I am a food rut kinda of person. I LOVE to cook new things and am in no way a picky eater but when I find something I really like, well..I REALLY like it, like all the time. This isn't a bad thing most of the time, except for when it comes to restaurant food. Like the time I discovered the spicy chicken soup at Carraba's and wanted to eat there like 3 times a week. Good for me and my belly but not for the family pocket book. One of my go to restaurant meals around Washington is the cavatini at Bobes. For you out of towners that don't know, Bobes is an family owned Italianish restaurant here in town that has the BEST pizza, lots of sandwich's, pastas, and even grill foods during the week. If you are a teenager and are from Washington, Indiana, you have more than likely worked at this place and I am not exception.  Another previous "Bobe's girl" posted a while back about making cavatini for her family at home { You can check out her blog here} DUUUHHHH! Why have I never tried this? I have made other versions of restaurant foods so I don't know why I never thought to duplicate recipes I already KNOW how to make. So I did...and it was gooood!


Here's my version.

What you need

1 Box of pasta {bobes uses some shell version I couldn't find so I used rigatoni}
1 lb of ground hamburger
1/2 large onion
1 green pepper
pepperonis
shredded mozzarella
Jarred spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 400.

Boil pasta until slightly under cooked {it will cook more in the oven}

Meanwhile, brown meat on stove top, drain, and add sauce.

Chop onion and green pepper to your preferred size. {Bobe's also adds mushrooms}

Layer pasta into bottom of baking dish, top with sauce and meat mixture. Push desired amount of pepperonis down into mix.

Then top with UNCOOKED peppers and onion.


Top with shredded cheese and a few more pepperonis.


Bake until cheese is melted and pepperonis have started to curl.

Dish it out and get down!!

2 comments:

mom said...

It was delish! :)

Andrea said...

Yum I must try!